Monday, November 1, 2010

Portrait of a Hustler: Shawntel O. Asemota of SOA Event Concepts, LLC

T.G.I.M.! Thank God it’s Monday! Most folks dread this day, as it marks the start of another torturous work week at the office. But there are few individuals in this world who smile at the mere mention of Monday. To them Monday indicates not just the beginning of the work week, but the chance to create new opportunities for success. It’s grind time!

As many of you know, I’m quite the late bloomer. Though I have a job that provides me a comfortable living, I’m not in love with it. It’s not what I want to do for the rest of my life. And to be 100% honest, I’m still not sure what I want to do with my life. But now, I at least have an idea, all thanks to my best friend and entrepreneurial mentor, Shawntel O. Asemota.

I met Shawntel in the summer of 2007 at the University of Georgia in a step aerobics class. She has a certain je ne sais quoi about her that instantly drew me to her and made us fast friends. Shawntel initially starter her college career thinking she was going to become a lawyer, then retire as an event planner. She soon realized that law just wasn’t for her and switched to advertising that helped her creative juices flow freely. With her advertising degree she got a job right out of college with a direct marketing firm. Realizing that corporate America wasn’t for her she quite to pursue her passion, and reach success as an event planner. And so, SOA Event Concepts, LLC was born.

Let’s face it. Being an entrepreneur takes hard work, determination, discipline and faith. I’ve always admired Shawntel’s drive and work ethic. She is a master time manager and multi-tasker, juggling building her brand, blogging about her experiences as the Unemployed [but Empowered] Entrepreneur, freelancing as a relationship columnist, working as an event coordinator at her new job with Event Design Group, rubbing elbows with fellow grinders in her industry, and still finding time to balance and build on a successful relationship with an equally ambitious “boyfriancé”. There is nothing this woman can’t do, and yet she still finds time to be an amazing friend to me.

So in the spirit of Mondays, I encourage all of you to stop looking at today like the plague, take a  page right out of Shawntel’s proverbial book, and start seeing the world through SOA colored glasses – it’s a new beginning full of networking opportunities, business ventures, and the chance to build your own personal empire. Now, as my lovie/BFF always says, "go forth and conquer your dreams" even when everyone else is having a bad case of the Mondays.

♥  - The Bougie Budgetista

2 comments:

  1. i almost cried. this was so sweet! SOA is amazing, that's why we're buddies... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww *tear* Thank you for being an awesome friend and a knowledge soaking mentee! Heart you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete