Friday, November 19, 2010

Pretty Boy (or Girl) Swag, FancyLo Style

They say "Don't judge a book by it's cover," but let's be real. When you're walking through Barnes & Noble, what makes you stop and browse through a novel you've never heard of before? The cover! The same same applies to people and their appearances. A well dressed person is more likely to spark the interest of those around them than someone who takes no pride in the way they look. "But it's the weekend... Why should I dress up on my day off?" Because you never know you're going to run in to.

Many of us have our normal nine to five, to which we give 110% Monday through Friday. But once it hits 5:01pm, our focus turns to our own pursuit of success. Since the world's down time is our grind time, we are constantly at work, but during those off hours, we get to be the boss. To those of you who morph into Super-CEO the minute you clock out, ask yourself "What does my weekend wardrobe say about me?"

I have a colleague who I love dearly. She has a vibrant spirit and a killer work ethic. But, up until recently, I would see her at the office looking like she had given up on herself. She's so exhausted by the daytime job, her MBA, and her own grind that she opts to hide from the world behind frumpy garb rather than take the time to unleash her inner diva. "I set out something fabulous the night before, but when I wake up in the morning, I just don't feel like making that effort anymore," she told me. With a closet full of Cole Haans, Stuart Weitzmans, and Michael Kors, she defaults to cheap flip flops and oversized sweaters that do nothing for her. She would swear up and down that she was what she likes to call FancyLo - low maintenance, but still put together. But unfortunately, her look was taking "Lo" to a whole new level. Borderline "Sloppy", actually. The more we got into our conversation, the more I realized that I wasn't seeing the half of it. If this is how she presented herself during the work week, then how on earth was she carrying herself on the weekends?

This got me thinking. How do you pull off "low maintenance" without looking like a hot mess? First, we have to start by putting your sweats where they belong - next to your gym bag and/or your cleaning supplies. Next work on your closet and make it easy to navigate. Section it off in three parts - Daytime (work), Evening (play) and Weekend (relax). Each section should make one cohesive statement about who you are, where you're going, and what you're going to do when you get there. Since weekends are normally a time to kick back and relax at your local coffee shop and work on your boss status (assuming you're like the rest of us), stock your closet with über comfortable basic pieces that say "I care about myself and my work and so should you." Skip the tailored shirts and slacks you wear all week and opt for well fitting tees in a natural material (both long and short sleeved), laid back oxford shirts, comfy sweaters, relaxed cargos, breathable leggings (for the ladies, of course), and a great pair of jeans. Stick to neutral colors to you can grab and go without having to put much thought into how things go together. The great thing is that a lot of these essential pieces are not expensive at all and you can stock up without breaking the bank. Ladies, finish off the look with a pair of adorable ballet flats, gladiator sandals or riding boots. Gentlemen, depending on your personal style, go for boat shoes, casual sneakers that show off your personal style (like Pumas or Nike SBs), or just stick with a classic and throw on a pair of Chuck Taylors. Bottom line, your weekend wear should be chic, simple, but always put together. Sometimes, less really is more.

In the great debate about the definition of FancyLo, my colleague argued that I was far to Fancy and I didn't have a Lo bone in my body. I couldn't disagree with her more. Just because I like the finer things in life doesn't mean I won't go grab brunch in a sweater and leggings (à la modern Flashdance) with little, if any, makeup. I just want my exterior to always reflect my interior. And until this conversation, she wasn't letting her amazing personality and talent shine through her wardrobe. The next day, when I saw her at the office, she looked adorably laid back - hair done in a chic pony tail, a simple but well fitting black sweater, and a printed A-line skirt. And now I know her weekend wear was equally as sophisticated. I couldn't have been more proud. She finally understood what I had been fussing with her about for weeks. If you look good on the outside, you'll feel good on the inside.

Everyone has a little FancyLo in them. I do it city style. She's all California girl. Midwesterners add their own flavor to it, etc. The point is that FancyLo should never be just Lo. There should always be some effort put into your effortless look.

So as we kick off the weekend think about what you're about to throw on to run your errands. If you were to meet who could become your best client, would you feel good about the impression you made when you handed him or her your business card? Marinate on it and have an awesome weekend!

♥  - The Bougie Budgetista

No comments:

Post a Comment