Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thrifty Thursday - A Valentine's Day for One

This year, I am without a Valentine. So instead of participating in Singles Awareness Day (S.A.D.), a day chock full of misery and despair, I decided to treat myself extra special for the day. Lots of restaurants are going to have great deals on dinner for two, and that’s fine and dandy, but I’m not in the mood to hang around a whole bunch of sappy couples. I’ll be enjoying an at-home spa day instead.

The first step is to plan your day. Well, mine won’t be a whole day, but more like an evening, consisting of a facial, body scrub, hair treatment, a hot bath, and a yummy and healthy dinner. If you have the ability to make it a whole day, throw in an early morning workout and plan healthy meals throughout the day. Prepare yourself for your day. Make sure your favorite robe, PJs, slippers, and workout clothes are clean and put somewhere easy to get to. Pull out your favorite candles and dim the lights in your bathroom and bedroom. Have clean sheets on your bed and your fluffiest towels right by your tub. Spray them with your favorite fragrance and indulge in your senses.

Next, prepare your treatments. You can do a search for different treatments or just visit The Spa Index to browse recipes and find whatever floats your boat. Here are the ones I’m going to be enjoying:

For the face, a Honey Oatmeal Facial, courtesy of The Spa Index:

1/4 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 tablespoons of honey

Finely grind or process the oatmeal in a blender or food processor. Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together honey and yogurt, and then add ground oatmeal. Mix thoroughly until a smooth paste consistency has been reached. Smooth over your face and neck, leave on for fifteen minutes, and rinse off with warm water.

For the body, I was given a homemade body scrub a while back, so I’ll be using that, but this recipe is very similar:

2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 - 1/2 cup almond oil
1/2 tsp of vitamin E
45-60 drops of fragrance or essential oil

Mix almond oil, vitamin E and fragrance or essential oil together in a glass bowl. Add the brown sugar and mix in well. Gently scrub over skin, focusing on rougher areas, such as elbows, feet, and knees. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.

For the hair, I’m actually using a sample from Lush called Hair Doctor, but this is one that my friends and family frequently use:

1 banana
3 tbsp honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1 vitamin E capsule
2 tbsp of Mayo

In a small bowl smash up one banana and add the honey, olive oil, mayo, and then empty the vitamin E capsule into the bowl. Stir with a spoon. Mix it all together really well. Then pour all of the contents of the bowl into a blender and puree till creamy and smooth. Leave in hair for 30 minutes and then rinse.

I can’t help buy indulge myself just a little bit. So I bought everything that I needed to make Mermaid Water. The Big Blue Bath Bomb was $6.35 and the Sunny Side Bubble Bar was $6.95, and I know I’m going to get at least three baths out of them, so that’s a good deal. And finally, I’m going to jazz up what’s already in my freezer and make a petit steak dinner with rosemary roasted potatoes and steamed veggies. Valentine’s day seems like a great day to show love to the one person on the planet who deserves it the most… YOURSELF!

♥ - The Bougie Budgetista



No comments:

Post a Comment