Thursday, February 10, 2011

Work It Out Wednesday - The Power of Pole

Last week, I talked about my experiences at Vixen Fitness. Today, I’d really like to go in depth with regards to my progress in Pole Fitness. Prior to January 22nd, the most I had ever done as far as working out was concerned was Zumba and running. Strength training wasn’t very appealing to me. I couldn’t stand the idea of sitting at the gym on a machine or lifting dumbbells up and down, up and down. How boring is that? I’m all about a workout that doesn’t necessarily feel like a work out, and Pole fit right up my alley.

When I first started, I could barely hold my own body weight up on a pole. I felt like such a weakling. Before the feeling of defeat could set in, I signed up for another class. I was determined not to quit after one try. “You’ll be sore tomorrow” they told me. That was the understatement of the century. I could barely move my arms above my head but the next day, I worked through the pain and tried it again. Quickly, I realized my muscles were getting used to it and I could hold on longer. I watched other girls around me easily try a new trick, shimmying their way up the pole. But I still couldn’t climb. My body wouldn’t let me do it. I heaved a sigh of sadness, thinking “I may never get this”.

In between one pole class and another, I’d take different fitness classes that challenged my body in different ways. Here I was in Sexercise banging out push-ups like they were nothing. Eureka! After just two classes, I could see a difference in my strength! I was rather shocked because I couldn’t necessarily SEE a difference, but there it was. Upper body strength that popped out of nowhere. That night, I rushed home and signed up for more pole classes.

After a three more classes, I was faced with the dreaded Advanced Fireman Spin – a trick which required me to climb up the pole. Despite the fact that my hands were covered in antiperspirant, I felt them getting clammy. I was nervous that, once again, the pole would defeat me. It was my turn to go on the pole and miraculously, up I went nearly effortlessly. I did it.

The moral of this story is that you’ll find that some of the most unconventional fitness regiments can be challenging, but if you’re up for the challenge, you’re going to see change. It may not be instantaneous. You may not see it in the mirror. But you will FEEL it. You will see it in your abilities. Before you know it, you’re doing things you never thought you could do. Next goal – Inverts!

♥ - The Bougie Budgetista

No comments:

Post a Comment