Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Go Ahead and Kiss, Because This Lip Color Won't Tell

Last night, I had the urge to paint my nails black, so on the way home, I stopped by CVS to pick up some nail polish, but I couldn’t resist the urge to peruse through the cosmetics area. I’m constantly looking for the perfect lip colors for me. I’ve found my perfect red (MAC Red to be exact), but have had trouble finding any other perfect shade. With $1.50 in ExtraCare Bucks and a coupon for $3.00 off, I figured I’d try something new. Normally, I’m hesitant to buy any cosmetic counter shades, since there’s no way to try them out before purchasing, but there was something about Maybelline’s Superstay 24 2-Step Lip Color in Perpetual Plum that was just calling my name. Maybe it was the fact that it looked a lot like my natural lip color with just a hint of shimmery mauve. Maybe it’s because the display was color coordinated from lightest to deepest shade (I’m a bit OCD and things like that appeal to me). Maybe it’s because it didn’t look like a lipstick, but more like a lip gloss, which I’m more comfortable with. But whatever it was, I bought it. To tell the truth, I’m so glad I did.

The application was simple: apply the color to clean lips and allow to dry for 2 minutes, then apply the conditioning balm. The color glides on with a wand with a tip slightly larger than a lip gloss wand, which is great, since it covers more area and evenly distributes the color. While I was letting it dry, I put on my mascara, just so that I could leave my mouth open (I don’t know about you, but I can’t apply mascara or eye liner with my mouth closed - it just doesn’t work for me, I’ve tried). At first, the color felt kind of sticky, but once it dried, it was smooth and matte. The conditioning balm is so light weight and adds tons of gloss without feeling like a typical lip gloss. You reapply that as needed throughout the day.

According to the packaging, Maybelline’s Superstay 24 2-Step Lip Color is made with a micro-flex formula that doesn’t transfer and lasts up to 24 hours (hence the name). So far, I’ve made it through breakfast, a bottle of water and a mid morning snack and the color hasn’t budged. I even wiped my mouth with a napkin and didn’t see any color come off! I’ve noticed that other long wear lip colors dry out your lips and flake off if you don’t constantly reapply the balm or gloss they normally come with, but this stuff has staying power like no other. It’s as if the color just takes on the nature of my lips.

As the day went on, I noticed that the lip color did get a little gritty, but that went away as soon as dabbed on more conditioning balm. The day is well over halfway done, and though there are light stains on my water bottle and my coffee mug, my lips still look a lovely shade of mauve and feel oh so soft. And at $7.99, it’s definitely a great deal. In fact, I definitely would try other colors (as long as I have a coupon for it). Maybelline’s Superstay 24 2-Step Lip Color gets this Budgetista’s seal of approval.

♥  - The Bougie Budgetista 

Perpetual Plum
Maybelline Superstay 24 Lip Color

No comments:

Post a Comment