Tuesday, January 18, 2011

We Get By With A Little Help From Our Friends (Or Just Friendly Strangers)

“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is ‘What are you doing for others?’” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


Happy Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! In honor of this holiday, I want to encourage you to make service a part of your lifestyle as well. We all have struggles – financial, emotional, mental, physical – and often, we think that our troubles are so great that no one else can relate. But here’s where we’re all wrong. My mother used to tell me to look above me and look below me. Though there’s always someone in a better position than I am, there’s also someone who has it way tougher than me. For this reason, I want you all to start thinking about the person who is “below” you and give them a helping hand. All it will cost you is some of your time.


Check out the following sites to find volunteer opportunities in your area:




Can’t make it out to an event? See if any shelters in your area are collecting clothing or food. That way, all you need to do is clean out your closet or grab some cans from your pantry and drop them off at the specified location. You may be thinking “What good do my old jeans and some cans of soup do? It’s not like it will make much of a difference.” Actually, it does. I leave you with this:


“A little and a little, collected together, becomes a great deal; the heap in the barn consists of single grains, and drop and drop make the inundation.” - Saadi


♥  - The Bougie Budgetista 

No comments:

Post a Comment