Monday, January 3, 2011

Let's Get Physical

I’m willing to bet my most recent pair of Guess pumps that most people have resolved to lose weight and get in shape this New Year. Am I right or am I right? Here’s the problem, gym memberships can be pretty costly, especially if, heaven forbid, you break your resolution and forget to cancel your membership. Paying for something you’re not using regularly is no bueno. So how do you get jump started on a fun fitness routine without breaking the bank or making a commitment you’re not ready to make? Now is the time to take advantage of some sweet deals at places you wouldn’t expect to focus on fitness.


I’m a huge fan of group fitness classes, especially ones that don’t feel like you’re working out. I secretly hate working out, but I’ve found some really cool workouts that trick my brain into thinking it isn’t working out (read: Dance classes). There’s a sense of camaraderie and accountability in those classes. If I were left to my own devices, I’d probably quit whenever I got tired, but having an instructor motivating me to keep going, reminding me that I’m almost there, and a group of individuals cheering with me until the end pushes me harder and ultimately gives me better results. For those of you who share my sentiment and enjoy a group workout of any kind, several studios and smaller gyms across the country that specialize in those types of workouts are offering exclusive deals that most people don’t know about. Ladies and gentlemen, now is the time to sign up for Groupon, LivingSocial, and OdealsDaily emails. Have you ever wanted to try a Mui Thai class? How about a pole dancing class? Is kickboxing more your thing? Here’s your chance to try out different fitness classes in different locations, giving you the opportunity to find a fitness home all while burning boat loads of calories and keeping your muscles confused (for those of you who have heard of or done P90X, you know all about how muscle confusion boosts your weight loss goals). Some recent deals that I’ve gotten include 10 dance aerobics classes for $25 ($80 value) and 4 female fitness classes for $30 ($84 value). Different locations, different instructors, different classes, same goal – sweating my butt off!


My other go to work out is simple and relatively inexpensive – Running. Think about it: all you need are a pair of running shoes and the open road. Most of us have iPods or a phone that can be loaded with mp3s, so load it up with your favorite fast paced songs and hit the track! But before you get started running, go to your nearest specialty running store (In Atlanta, I recommend West Stride and in Orlando, Fleet Feet and Track Shack) and have them fit you for the right shoes. Experts at these shops are going to help you find what works best for you, and the best part is that the fitting is free! I’m not going to lie, a good pair of running shoes will cost you between $70 to $125, but your knees, back, shins, and nearly every other part of your body will thank you for the investment. Once you’ve found the right shoes (and, ladies, the right sports bra), you’re all set to start running! When I decided to pick this up, I had never run more than 10 seconds in my life. Come to find out, there’s an app for that! For those of you who don’t have an iPod Touch or iPhone, there are guides online to help you get started. All of them will encourage you to alternate between walking and running, increasing the amount of time you run from week to week. Eventually you’ll be able to run 30 minutes without stopping – your first 5K!


Be proud for making this commitment to yourself. It’s a huge one to make, but you’re worth it! Here’s to getting physically fit while staying financially fit!

♥  - The Bougie Budgetista

No comments:

Post a Comment